List of Blogs

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Chapters 1-25 Haley


Now that Matt has just made it to Aztlan, I am intrigued and interested in what Matt’s new life will be like. After the long and dangerous trek Matt has embarked on, I hope that it will have all paid off and that his new life will be carefree. I am also eager to learn if the people of Aztlan will ever find out that Matt is a clone. It has been difficult to read about all the hardships that Matt has lived through, so I hope that chapter 26 brings a close to that period of his life.
 I have loved the intricate relationships that Nancy Farmer has created in this book. Matt’s friendships and bonds with Celia, Maria, Tam Lin, and El Patron are all very powerful and fascinating. Specifically, Tam Lin and Matt have a very father-son like bond. How Tam Lin is able to view Matt as an equal is inspiring, especially because all the other characters think Matt to be a beast. I also really enjoyed how Farmer painted the picture that Felicia is the only kind soul in the Alacran household, while she was recently exposed as being very brutal and viscous, carrying a strong hatred for Matt. The only thing that I haven’t liked about this book so far is the constant darkness that Matt experiences. It makes me especially hopeful that he will find his place in Aztlan.
The main theme that I have seen in this book is all people are equal. I think this book explores some upsetting discrimination that we have in our society. Whether it is racism or sexism, it still occurs in this day and age. While Nancy Farmer doesn’t directly make any links, I still feel the presence of those underlying issues in the bullying that Matt endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment