List of Blogs

Friday 2 March 2012

Chapter 1-5 - Bryden

  • This novel has definitely gripped onto me, making me want to read it ever so much. During the first few chapters, I wondered what the relationship was for Matt and Celia but after I read chapter 5 where the author reveals Matt is a clone, I understood that Celia's character was created to raise Matt. I assume she is raising Matt to a certain age and then handing him over to someone else because in chapter 2, Celia said that she "loans" Matt, meaning that she will have to give him back later. I also wondered where the "other kids" such as Maria, Steven, and Emilia came from. In the book, when Celia was explaining the big house to Matt, she talked about the 3 children, Emilia, Steven, and Maria. Celia talked about how Stephen lives in the big house, but Maria and Emilia don't and came from elsewhere. I'm also very confused as to why Matt was even created, I wonder what his purpose in this story is.
  • I was struck by the compassion and love that Celia has for Matt because I was listening to my classmates talk about how mean she was before I started reading, making me already assuming she was a villainous character, which in fact she is the opposite. It is obvious that Matt is around six-years-old because of his crying and such. 
  • I think that Farmer is making the choices in the first section like so, because she wants to create a stronger setting and also attach the audience to the characters Matt, Celia, and Maria. So far, Farmer has done just that and created a powerful atmosphere which leaves me perplexed and curious and we all know, curiosity killed the cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment